Acrylics on canvas 24″ x 24″ based on a photo I took on the New Year day 2013. I still remember it was a cold dull day, the swan floating towards me gracefully.
Acrylic on 20″ x 16″ canvas from a photo taken a few years ago on ship Polar Explorer.
Ink and washed A4 300g NOT watercolour paper. One woman in my painting group keeps giving me reference photos of birds. This is one she gave me before Easter break. I had been looking at the photo for a long time and eventually decided to establish the tone using permanent Japanese carbon ink then tinted it with watercolour. I think the result is OK as a learning exercise.
Spring flowers are wonderful this year. The A4 watercolour on 300g paper is based on a photo I took from neighbour’s garden.
A3 watercolour 300g paper based on some photos on our trip to Antartica a few years ago. They are mainly Wandering albatross and Black-brow albatross.
watercolour on A4 NOT. After outlined the flower and leaves with pencil I wetted the whole paper with clean water then very loosely added Q gold to the follows and leaves. After the first was dried I added various yellows from lemon yellow, deep yellow to yellow ochre. Green is made up from q gold and cobalt blue. Finally added dark made from raw umber and cobalt blue. Not too displeased with the result as a study.
This year the camellias are particular good. The white one, I believe it is called Camellia Japonica, is the first to open. The below is a 8″x8″ acrylic study on canvas board.